409 N. Main Street, Public Library. Photograph published by Gravure Illustration, Co. A library was initiately suppost to be built on the corner of McDuffie and River Street. In fact, a ceremonial groundbreaking had occurred with some excavation done. Then Joseph H. Brown, Anderson's first millionaire, gave $5000.00, a lot on North Main Street and secured a Carnagie grant for the building for a Carnagie Library. An earlier library had existed in the City Hall building on South Main Street. Information according Whitten notes. Photo found in 1909 Anderson General Sketches book (2013.40.04) and further information.